Paulines Slow Roasted Shoulder of Herdwick Hogget with Garlic and Rosemary
A 3lb shoulder of Lamb on the Bone will feed 4 people / 4lb will feed 6 people.
Cooking times: 25 mins per lb plus 25 mins for Medium, or 30 mins per lb plus 30 mins for Well Done.
Shoulder of Herdwick Hogget or local Lamb
4 Fresh Garlic cloves
Spring of fresh Rosemary
3 sticks celery
Enough potatoes for 4 or 6 people, peeled and chopped in half
Fresh kale or spinach (or alternative spring greens)
- Ensure the lamb is room temperature before cooking
- Pre-heat your oven to 220°C/Gas 7
- Make some small 2-3 cm deep slits into the meat and stuff these with fresh garlic cloves and fresh rosemary sprigs. Drizzle the joint with olive oil or rub with butter
- Roughly chop 3 onions, 2 carrots and 3 sticks of celery and place into a roasting tin, resting the lamb on top. Cover the tin with foil. The chopped vegetables will make a nice gravy later
- After 20 minutes, turn the oven down to 150°C/Gas 3 and let the lamb cook slowly for a further 2 hours. Remove the foil 30 minutes before the Lamb is due to come out
- Parboil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes whilst the lamb finishes cooking, then once the Lamb comes out, turn the oven back up to 200°C/Gas 6 and add the potatoes to a roasting dish and cook for 30 minutes until golden.
- Let the Lamb rest for 20-30 minutes before carving
- Steam the spring greens whilst the roast potatoes finish cooking
- Serve the Lamb with the crispy golden roast potatoes and buttered spring greens