Beer Can Chicken BBQ Recipe
Prep time 10 mins
Cooking time 1hr, 20 mins
Serves 4-6 people
3 tbsp olive oil
440ml can of beer
For the dry rub
1 tbsp muscovado sugar
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp English mustard powder
2 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper
This is a fun recipe to try on the Barbecue and creates a lovely juicy and tasty chicken, as well as being a great Barbecue centrepiece. We always cook on a charcoal barbecue with a lid and this is what you will need here.
1) Light your barbecue, allowing the flames to die down and the coals to turn white, then mound the coal up on one side. (Make sure that you enough space to close the lid once the chicken is in)
2) Make the dry rub by mixing all the ingredients together with a good grinding of black pepper and salt. Drizzle the chicken with the oil, sprinkle over the rub and massage it into the skin evenly and even inside the cavity.
3) Carefully open the can of beer with a can opener and pour half the beer out (to drink) leaving the rest in the can to keep the chicken moist during cooking. Sit the chicken onto the open can, legs down then stand onto the barbecue - either on a roasting tin or directly on the grill, on the side with no coals.
4) Close the lid and cook for 1 hr 20 mins until the chicken is browned, the meat tender and the juices run clear. If the juices aren’t clear, cook for a further 10 mins, then check again.
If the weather turns bad and you opt to cook inside, you can cook this in the oven on 200C/180C fan/gas 6 in the bottom of the oven for the same cooking time
5) Once cooked, remove the chicken from the barbecue and cover lightly with foil to rest for 20 mins before serving.