Chilli, yogurt and oregano chicken wings
Recipe from: Olive Magazine
Preparation 1 hour
30 chicken wings
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp paprika
4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp fine sea salt
black peppercorns crushed to make 1 /4 tsp
oregano a big handful, chopped
For the yogurt:
garlic 6 cloves, crushed
3 tsp lemon juice
300g of natural yogurt
These juicy wings are spiced with paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper and fresh oregano. They can be pre-cooked in the oven then crisped up on the BBQ or cooked entirely on the BBQ and served with a light yogurt sauce
1) Prepare your BBQ in advance of cooking so any flames have died down and the coals have gone white. At this point, bank up the coals on one side so that there is a hot side and a cooler side
2) For the yogurt sauce, mix the garlic with the lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.
3) Combine the spices, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss the wings with 3 tbsp of this mixture in another bowl. Cook the wings on the cooler side of the BBQ, with the lid closed, for 30 minutes, turning halfway through. Move the wings to direct heat, over the coals, and cook for another 5 minutes, moving them around and turning to ensure even crisping.
(Alternatively, heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 6 and divide the wings between two trays. Roast for 45 minutes until cooked through. Transfer the wings to the cooler side of the BBQ for 5-10 minutes, turning them every few minutes, until charred and crispy.)
4) Finish the yogurt sauce by straining the lemon and garlic mixture through a sieve into the yogurt with a pinch of salt and mix well.
5) Toss the wings in the remaining spice mixture, then tip onto a platter and drizzle over some of the yogurt sauce, serving the rest on the side for dipping. Scatter over the oregano and serve.